The Massachusetts and Rhode Island Bays and Shelf (MARIBS) is a composite of observation systems in the northern-most sector of MARACOOS.
Overlapping slightly with the NERACOOS region to the northeast and Long Island Sound subregion to the southwest, it includes Cape Cod Bay, Buzzards Bay, Narragansett Bay, Martha's Vineyard Sound, and Block Island Sound as well as the shallower half of the Southern New England Shelf. It involves several institutions as outlined in the tables below.
Our objective here is to gradually compile and maintain a list of various projects collecting data. It should be noted, however, that a) some of these institutions are not yet official members of MARACOOS and b) this does NOT include ALL the potential partners. We hope to provide a "get data" link for each of these projects that will allow users a more direct link to the data they need.
Ocean Observation Systems
- Martha’s Vineyard Coastal Observatory - Wood Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Ocean Observation Laboratory (OCEANOL) - The School for Marine Science & Technology (UMASS)
- Elements of the Sea Scallop Research Program - Marine Fisheries Field Research Group, Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Institute (UMASS)
- The Trawl Study Fleet Program - Marine Fisheries Field Research Group, Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Institute (UMASS)
- Marine Turbulence Laboratory - Marine Fisheries Field Research Group, Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Institute (UMASS)
- Massachusetts Estuaries Project - Marine Fisheries Field Research Group, Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Institute (UMASS)
- Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay - MWRA Environmental Quality Department
- Bay Assessment & Response Team (BART) - Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Environmental Monitoring for Public Access and Community Tracking Project - Narragansett Bay Commission
- Narragansett Bay.org
- Citizen's Water Quality Monitoring Program - Buzzards Bay National Estuary Program
- Environmental Monitors on Lobster Traps
- Drifter Tracks